Tuesday 30 August 2016

AJE Art Headpins Design Challenge Reveal

So today is the reveal day for the latest AJE design challenge and this month it's all about headpins. I have a good collection of these little pretties and it seems I'm not the only one who is enamoured - just take a look at the participants list below

My art headpin collection

Art headpins always work really well with earrings and that's where I decide to start to get myself warmed up. With these first designs I wanted to try and use as much of the headpin as I could in a visible way. For the orange pair on the left I used some of Jen Cameron's headpins to combine the coil with integral ear wires. The green headpins are by Sue Kennedy and again feature coils this time with an added loop.


Then I came across these copper and brass cones from Hands of the Hills and thought they might be a cute combination...Again the headpins on the left are by Sue Kennedy and those on the right by Jen Cameron.


For this next piece I made up a focal with a beautiful ceramic bell flower by Marsha Neal which perfectly matched the headpin by Sue Kennedy. I used a coil of wire around the headpin to keep it proud of the trumpet. I then added a hammered and patinated copper hoop to give the it more depth.


To complete it I picked some lovely heavy weight copper chain and embellished it with seed beads in co-ordinating colours. This softens the chain and gives it a lovely sense of movement.


This is a longer length necklace and has a lovely feminine feel.


That was going to be it but while researching for a post to promote the challenge I came across these headpins by Anneli Beads and had to buy them.

 

I love these little tribal heads and went back to the coiled to design to make another pair of earrings that are most definitely keepers.


And finally, I was making a few ceramic beads last week and threw in a few pairs of headpins just for good measure. I've not had a chance to do anything with these yet but quite like how they turned out - especially with the running glaze.



So if you enjoyed my designs then settle back because as there are a lot more on show today - just click on the links below to see what everyone else has made. And if you're inspired to get creative yourself you'll find some headpin inspiration here.

Lesley

24 comments:

  1. I am in AWE of your talent. The headpins are amazing but what you did with them is inspiring. I especially like the oversized loops you made with the finishing spirals. clever and delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your designs are just wonderful. I especially like the pair of earrings you made with Jen's green headpins and the copper. I love green and copper and the wire wrapping is gorgeous. The necklace you made is stunning. It must have taken awhile to put all of the beads on the chain, but so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how you do the spiral design!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the necklace! Very creative using the headpin with the flower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic designs! Your wirework combined with the gorgeous headpins are just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh wow, that focal one is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything is wonderful but I especially love that necklace. Your added touches set off the lovely design so well
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite is the necklace and especially the touch you added with all the little wee beads at the chain. It looks magical :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything you made is wonderful! I don't know what I love best. I think the pairing of the headpin with the ceramic bell flower might be my fave especially with the added treatment of the beads on the chain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes yes and yes. Your headpin bouquet looks like mine! I love it all. Cant wait to see those headpins up close. great glazes. I love the beaded chain on the necklace - it really adds color splash without competing with Marsha's floral!

    ReplyDelete
  11. At the risk of gushing, everything is gorgeous! Love how elegant your designs are... you've really shown the pins off at their best! Love how the necklace evolved too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad to see someone make a focal for a necklace and yours turned out wonderfully. Also my favorite I think of the whole hop are your simple twisted wire earrings that show off the headpin In all it's glory!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh where to begin. I love love love what you did forming the spirals and loops with the headpin wires. It makes me see headpins in a whole new way, as more than just dangles on a basic wrap. (Of course I'd be too afraid to try something like that for fear of ruining a headpin.) Then of course your earrings are all so stunning. The way you combined the art beads for the necklace focal is fabulous and adding the seed beads to the chain makes the while thing magical. And last but not least, the glaze on the headpins you "threw" in the kiln is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't wait to see what you do with the new long skinny headpins - they're so fun! I love the variety of things you do with the wires too - you really showcase the versatility of artisan headpins in the best way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My favorite part is how you incorporate the wire into your designs. It's visually stunning and the necklace is a real showstopper. The headpins you made are perfect and you should definitely make more! I especially love the glaze on the two bottom center.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! First off I love your headpin hoard, and all of your earrings. They are just beautiful and oh my, that necklace is just stunning, the addition of those seed beads in the necklace is just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooooo all the coiling! I'm inspired now! Soooooooo pretty!!!!! PS Have a good trip!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow....what a collection of pretty! I love them all, and the coiling, very inspiring! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lesley, the necklace is gorgeous. I love the focal pairing - like they were made for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really love the embellished chain.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very beautiful tribal ceramic earrings. All your designs are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great collection of headpins - you have the bug too! I always love the jewelry you make, and I'm glad you made headpins as well!

    ReplyDelete
  23. love all of the designs!

    Please visit my Blog!

    http://www.alessabernal.com/

    Alessa Bernal :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am always amazed by your creativity. Such beautiful designs.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy - join in with the gossip...